Tuesday, August 19, 2008

First Day of School!

How in the world are my babies already old enough to be going to school?!?! I'm not sure, but the truth is they were SO excited to go. Here they are in front of our house before we took them to Snoopy Day, where they "snoop" around their new classroom, meet their new teachers, meet their new friends, and play on the playground. Michael and I both went, and we made a whole day of celebrating how proud we are of our big boys.
Ben and Drew are one of THREE sets of twins in Miss Betsy's class this year, so I can't wait to see how they enjoy hanging out with other twins since they've really never had much opportunity to do so.....now that I think of it, maybe we should all start praying for Miss Betsy now! ;)
Snoopy Day was only an hour or so long, so it wasn't until today that I really had the full experience of packing lunchboxes, backpacks, dropping off and picking them up. People have often asked me if I'll be sad when the boys go to school a couple days a week, and I had talked so big, dreaming about all the things I would be able to get done with some "free time" that I didn't really think I'd be too sad about it. But - truth be told - as I pulled away from the school without the two people who've been constantly by my side for the past 3 years I found myself feeling very lost. And those feelings were a surprise to me. Yes, my babies are growing up. And I suddenly got very nostalgic thinking about how all of their firsts are my firsts, and likewise, all of their lasts are my lasts. Over the course of the last several years it has [at times] been hard to remember that whatever phase we're in won't last forever, and that they are only little once. But today it became perfectly clear.

So, their first day of school was great! They jumped out of the car with full excitement, giving me high fives and blowing me kisses. They read books, played with all their best buddies and made some new friends too. They even ate a good lunch for their teacher....must have been showing off since that's a rarity at our house. They grew up a little bit today. But the best part about the first day of school was that when we came home, things were in a little bit better perspective, and we were all a little more thankful for each other...if that's possible.

Here's to hoping that Thursday will be a little less emotional!

4 comments:

Sallie said...

what a sweet post! I'm so glad they did so good!!! I hope when I send Eli next year, he will do so well!! oh..and LOVE the new look!

jenni said...

seriously--the boys are so big!! i'm so happy they love school-jake started with miss betsy & we really enjoyed her!

i'm sure tomorrow will be easier for you especially knowing how well they are taken care of!

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

how much fun! they are such big boys! aiden starts in a couple of weeks. how precious! love the new look, btw.

Lerra said...

They are growing up so fast! I can't believe it.

BTW, we were at the beach this weekend and I saw a family with twin boys about the age of yours. They both looked so much like Drew! (they were identical) AND...one of them was named Drew! Weird.