Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Fun in the Sun

We are finally home and settled in enough for me to get a chance to post a few pictures from the boys' first beach trip. For this past Memorial Day weekend, we took the boys to Destin, Florida with the Laytons and the Belvilles (check out their pages to see more beach pictures). It was such a great trip for many reasons, but by far the biggest reason was because of the friends we went with. There were 6 "grown-ups", 5 toddlers under the age of two, and 2 of the best, most patient babysitters you could ever ask for. All of us stayed in a 4 bedroom house across the street from the beach, and it couldn't have been more fun! If you keep up with us via this blog at all, you probably know that Michael and I were a little nervous about how Ben and Drew would do since they didn't seem to like swimming lessons very much. But I have to say that they did GREAT!!! They loved the feel of the sand, and were happy to sit and dig or throw it until it was time to go in for lunch and a nap. Here are a couple of pictures of them as they see and hear the ocean waves for the first time.....but this was about as close as they wanted to get to it.


In the mornings after all the kiddos had been fed breakfast and the grown-ups had been given coffee, we headed down to our beach tent with sippy cups and sand toys in hand. We usually stayed there until the boys were ready for lunch, which was more than enough time to make them want to take looong naps.


As you can see, they pretty much stuck to playing in the sand. But by our last day, they got a little more used to to the waves, and ventured down to the water. Ben really liked the cold water splashing on his legs. But little Drew was perfectly content to play at a safe distance.



Usually we would feed the kids dinner while they played in the backyard, outside of the pool while we all just hung out and visited. Then we would put them down for bed, and then go out to dinner without having to ask the hostess for 5 high chairs. That alone was a treat. But one of the nights we loaded everyone up and had dinner in Sandestin. Here is a picture of all of us together.

If the kids weren't playing at the beach or in their pajamas, this was the usual scene outside of our house: naked babies in diapers, running and laughing their little hearts out. Being the photo-snapping mommies that we are, we had to sit them down for a quick picture.

And lastly, here are our two wonderful babysitters, Melissa and Winn. I know that the trip would not have been nearly as enjoyable for Michael and I if we hadn't had them. They were patient amid all the chaos that 5 toddlers bring, and did way more than we ever asked or expected them to do!

It was so much fun to get away with good friends. And I am just so thankful for the people that God has brought into our lives. Enjoy the pictures, and I'll try to post a few more of my favorites later on.

8 comments:

Kim said...

Fabulous pictures. I loved all the different shots. I'm glad you had a great time. =)

Blessed said...

Love, love, love those boys!

I need to see them, it's been WAY too long. Hey, let's talk really soon!!! :)

I am glad yall had a good time at the beach.

Love you!!

jenni said...

Great pictures..I love the first one & the one where Drew? was doing a head stand!! I'm glad you guys had fun & smart thinking on taking babysitters!

Amy said...

Hey!
Those are such cute pictures! I am glad you had fun. I look forward to seeing you since we are headed back to AL! I found a funny pic. of us, I thought that I would share, but I don't have your e-mail!!

Lincoln said...

I am so glad you guys had fun! Everyone needs a little break from everyday life to enjoy their kids and friends! Glad you are home safely and let's get our boys together to play. Ben and Drew can fill Lincoln in on the beach! Love you! Trish

Lerra said...

Hey - we were in Destin last weekend too! It would have been funny if we'd run into each other. The pics are great! I'm glad you had fun. And praise God for the babysitters, right?!

Abigail and Ansley said...

Wonderful pictures! I am glad that you all had so much fun!

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

I cant beleive how big your boys have gotten! so cute!