Sunday, March 30, 2008

That Dreaded Day Has Finally Come

The boys are finally in their big boy beds. The title is a bit melodramatic, I know. But honestly that's how we feel because it isn't going well at all. We've been hoping to put this milestone off for as long as possible. But Monday of last week Drew got really really good at jumping out of his crib. They've both been able to get in the beds easily for a couple of months now. But with Drew jumping out so easily, we were really worried that he would get hurt if he kept it up for much longer.

So, Tuesday night after Michael came home from work, we took off the front sides of the cribs. Basically, it's been no sleep for anyone since then. I feel like we're back in those newborn days when you're so tired you just function in a fog. But, people tell me that it'll get better. Honestly I'm a little skeptical that it will. The problem is not that they don't want to stay in their room. It's just the opposite: they love being in their room together with their books and the few toys we keep in their closet. As soon as I leave, they flip on the light and start to play. It's almost like a party to them. So I've tried staying in the room until they fall asleep. That worked at naptime once, but not for bedtime.

I'm going to stop complaining now, and leave you with the only two pictures I got to document the first night of sleeping in a big boy bed before my battery died. But if anyone has any ideas on how to weather this little phase, feel free to pass them along....I'm too tired to think of any more! :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

No helpful ideas, because we aren't there yet, but I am shuddering with sympathy and dread! Good luck, and I hope you get some sleep soon.

Lerra said...

Yikes...sorry I don't have any words of wisdom but I'm sure someone can help you out!

Christy said...

Stay strong...It may take some tears on both sides but lay down the law and let them know that bedtime is bedtime. Thjey may sound harsh but it's the way we did it. Also I would put some of those door locks on the closet so they can't get the toys out:) Hang in there. I think we are right behind you b/c I don't want Baylor to end up getting hurt like Avery did:)

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

haha so sorry to hear this...its a rough phase with one...i cant imagine two! we lock aiden in his room and then go check on him as soon as we think he has fallen asleep. but i guess that wont help in your case...

Sallie said...

okay...BLESS!! My sister had a terrible time with her youngest, Will...and what finally worked for her was to take the light bulb out of the over head light so that Will could not turn on the light...then she locked the closet doors together, so he couldn't use the closet light to play either...she used only lamp light in hie room...from a lamp that he could NEVER reach...

I HOPE this helps you as much as it did her...it worked the FIRST night for her!...'cuz who wantes to play in the dark???...oh and she locks the door from the outside until he falls asleep...sounds crazy...but it works..I'm also a fan of the laying down the law idea...good luck, friend!

Blessed said...

No tips here, but I have to comment. They look PRECIOUS in those big boy beds. LOVE THE PICS!!!

The Wessons said...

At least Drew didn't have an accident like Avery!

Anonymous said...

I think that's when our twin boys got the most spankings of their life. It only took a few days, though. Something about having to go to sleep with your best friend just across the room is just hard...They're really good at staying in bed, now! hee hee.

Your boys are adorable.

Alice Griffith

Katie said...

i try to just put some books in his bed and go back there every time i hear him out of the bed to tell him to get back in, but considering he still won't fall asleep until 10:30 or later now i'm not the best one to give advise...good luck!

Kim said...

Nice beds! Love them. Have you gotten up in the morning and found them in bed together?

jenni said...

I know it's hard but I agree with Sallie's advice--do whatever you can to make their room no fun at night maybe even try some type of reward for staying in bed. I don't think we are very far behind you with Evan (I think Evan will be tougher than Jake was for the big boy bed move!). Hang in there b/c I think they were heading for injury with the jumping out of bed!