Monday, October 22, 2007

Birthday Weekend

Well, I really wish that I had lots of cute birthday pictures to post for you all. I wish that we 'd had the fun birthday party that we'd had planned for the boys. I wish I could report that the 2nd birthday party with our friends came off without a hitch. But since I can't say any of those things actually came to pass, I'll tell you what did happen.

Wednesday afternoon Drew woke up from his nap with a scalding hot fever. At that point he wouldn't let me take his temp, but it was pretty high. So we began the motrin/tylenol cocktail rotation, the cool washcloths, ice chips, juice, water, and every other thing I could think of to help my little man feel better. Even a trip to Dr. Leeper's office to make sure it wasn't ears (he acted GREAT, by the way, while we were there. Like he wasn't sick at all! Why do they do that?) All to no avail through the night, and all through the next day. He was pitiful. He would only lay on me in the rocking chair. All. Day. Long. And a looong day it was. So, now on top of being exhausted, I'm now getting very very worried about my sick little boy.


So, at a steady temp of 104.1 for over 2 hours, the on-call nurse said we needed to head to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital. I'm trying to keep my crying baby calm, navigate through rush hour traffic, thinking of all the serious things that could be wrong. Fears of MRSA, flu or strep in my head. It was so bad. He screamed even louder and even longer while they ran all the tests, and my heart just broke for him.


All that to say, it was just a really bad virus that is just now coming to an end (thank goodness!). So, we had to cancel the birthday party, and had a small family party here at our house Friday night instead. Honestly, it was PERFECT! It was just what the boys needed, and they enjoyed being with all the grandparents, aunts and uncle, and their cousin more than I can even describe. We all had a great time just being all together. The only bad part was that it made us all wish we all lived closer. I love that our families get along so well, and can all enjoy each others' company. It is really such a blessing to have such a loving family to raise our boys in.


So, the boys really did have a great birthday, despite not feeling quite as good as usual. Hopefully we can meet up with our good buddies in the park one day this week to play and celebrate. We didn't get too many pictures, but here are a few that we snapped.



The only three things that made Drew feel any better (after the fever started coming down) were his paci, coloring and birthday cake. Here he is showing me the picture we made. But look at his little eyes.


Aunt Chelle showing the boys their cake.

Everybody singing Happy Birthday and blowing out the candles. We've been working really hard at showing two fingers when someone asks how old they are.
Once we uncovered the cake Ben, Drew and Dresden all had to have theirs right then. So here they are, eating their dessert first.

Dressie helping Drew down the slide. They just adore her and kept running around saying "Come on, Dres! Swide (slide), Dres!".

They're getting so big, and growing so much every day. It's hard to believe two years have already flown by. They are most definitely the best things that have ever happened to Michael and I, and we feel so blessed that God chose us to be their Mommy and Daddy.

8 comments:

Mary Alice said...

Oh Heather, I am so sorry that you guys had to go through that! It seems like there is some nasty stuff out there right now and people aren't just getting sick, they are getting SICK.

It sounds like the birthday was special in the end and that's all that matters - taking care of our little ones and making as many special memories along the way as we can. I'll pray that everyone else stays well and that the worst has passed for you.

Happy Birthday, Ben & Drew!

The Wessons said...

Poor little Drew he looks like he felt terrible. I know that has got to be scary. Parker's fever got to 102 and I thought that was bad. The birthday cake is beautiful! I am so glad that he is feeling better. Maybe we can get together so they can open presents.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to those sweet boys! Their birthday cake is awesome. Been thinking about you guys all weekend. Glad to hear the boys are feeling better!

Sallie said...

bless your sweet heart! and bless little Drew! it's no fun to be sick on your birthday! It looks like you still were able to pull off a great little party for them though and the cake...WOW it is AWESOME!!! where did you get that? missing you!

Lerra said...

Aw...poor little Drew! I'm glad he's better now. Those are good pics & it looks like you had fun!

Blessed said...

I am sorry Drew was sick. He sure is a cutie, though. Both boys are. Give them a kiss and a Happy Bday from me!

Heather said...

His sweet little eyes make me want to drive over and hug him! How great that it all bypassed Ben! Fabulous cake, by the way!

The Blankinships said...

yall! seriously, even people that i've talked to that haven't posted a comment here have given me sooo many compliments on that cake! it's from PUBLIX! they do such a great job, and the cake is always the yummiest (not to mention much cuter than if i had done it myself).

just thought you all would want to know!